Getting to the Point Dogs

Dogs are curious creatures and will sniff and eat anything they fancy, including plants and flowers. While most plants won’t do any harm to their health, there are some that can be poisonous for them – some of which are commonly found just about anywhere. If you have a garden, you should be more mindful about the safety of your furry friend.

Here are some common plants that can poison your dog:

Tulip

Tulips are beautiful seasonal flowers that can be toxic to canines. The flower’s bulbs can cause irritation to your dog’s mouth and esophagus which would likely lead to abdominal pain and discomfort, diarrhea, drooling and vomiting.

Daffodil

Daffodils are very popular flowers, often found in public parks and gardens. Unfortunately, they are harmful to canines. These beautiful flowers contain crystals and lycorine which may cause abdominal pain, cardiac arrhythmias, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, drooling and vomiting. Ingestion of the a daffodil’s bulb (the most poisonous part) can cause a drop in blood pressure and severe gastrointestinal issues in canines.

Azalea

Azaleas are pretty flowers but are very toxic for our furry friends. It contains grayanotoxins which may disrupt the normal functions of a dog’s heart and skeletal muscles if ingested. Ingestion of even just a small amount of this plant can cause abnormal heart rate, abdominal pains, diarrhea,vomiting, tremors and weakness in dogs.

Lily

Lilies are another popular choice when it comes to flowers in a garden or at home. They are toxic to dogs and are considered deadly to cats. Cats who ingest even a small amount of lilies may suffer from acute kidney failure. All types of lilies are harmful to pets but the most poisonous ones are Asiatic, Day, Easter, Japanese and Tiger.

Oleander

Another popular outdoor flowering shrub, the beautiful oleander is extremely poisonous for both canines and felines. Th plant contains both nerioside and cardiac glycosides oleandrin which if ingested by pets can lead to fatal heart abnormalities, bloody diarrhea, incoordination, muscle tremors and vomiting. Symptoms begin within an hour of ingestion and in most cases, treatment is not successful that’s why it’s important to keep your pets away from the oleander plant.

While these plants are beautiful, it’s safe to remove them or not plant them in your garden if you have pets at home. Also be extra observant of the plants that your pet sniffs when you go out for your daily walks.